18 December 2012

Thoughts

I have got to get something off my chest. The horror I felt when I learned about what happened in Connecticut has been matched by my anger and disgust at talking heads like Mike Huckabee and every other post on Facebook saying that we should not be surprised by these events, because we don't allow God in our school. This is God's doing? This is God's fault? This is God's retribution?

My goodness! What a petty, petulant, grudge-holding and monstrously cruel god you serve.

My God is infinitely loving. My God is everywhere at all times.

How terribly Old Testament of your god.  See, my God sent this one guy ... oh, what is his name? You know ... that fellow whose birthday we're celebrating in a few days. Who ... oh, that's right, Jesus. Remember him? My God so loved this world that he gave us his only son, Jesus, so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

If you, for one moment, believe God was not in that school or that there weren't angels there guiding staff and keeping other babies safe from physical harm or that Jesus wasn't there to embrace those souls and welcome them to their eternal home, then you don't know God at all,

That, too, is a tragedy.

No, Mr. Huckabee, I don't want your version of your god taught to my children. Children are so precious to God and I won't have your warped take on Him or your skewed views on religion drilled into them. They should never ever EVER fear that God will withdraw from them for any reason, especially for something over which they have absolutely no control.

I learned that the separation of church and state was for the benefit of both sides. I never fully understood that until I was an adult. I don't want my child being forced to learn about Huckabee's god or the Hail Mary prayer or being made to pray on their knees on a rug facing Mecca. That is wholly unfair, unconstitutional and illegal. It is also wholly unfair, unconstitutional and illegal to force your child to listen to and/or partake in a Hindu prayer or Jewish prayer or Catholic prayer. Christianity is not the world's only religion, even within Christianity there are different sects/beliefs. Does Mr. Huckabee want his (grand)children made to adhere to vegetarian and kosher diets of the Seventh Day Adventists or the writings of Joseph Smith or the teachings of Muhammed? No, of course not. He wants to indoctrinate my child with his twisted beliefs.

The fact is, you are free to pray to any being you feel like at anytime you feel like. God is ALWAYS there. Always.

My God has a plan. I don't know what it is and, right now, I don't know that I want to know what it is. I don't know why He needed those souls at that time, I just know that He did. And I want to be shocked and sad and not have that intruded upon by idiots with stupid and untimely bluster.

Just be still and know that He is God

4 comments:

abby said...

I really appreciate your thoughts. It's true- God did NOT kill those children. A sick person with agency did. There's so much suffering and injustice and sadness in this world and the thing that gets me through is my faith that the next life is utterly beyond my comprehension and that this life is just a sliver in my eternal experience. And that Christ's love and atonement does (or eventually will) consume all sadness and suffering. These are things I'm always working on strengthening my belief in and it certainly takes more faith at times like these.

pattyfish said...

I sincerely don't think Mike Huckabee was suggesting that God did this. I think he was saying that because we have (generally) kicked God out of our schools/lives/etc., that God graciously has backed out where he isn't wanted and left satan to his devices. Satan wants nothing more than to have us blame evil onto God - to deceive us into thinking wrongly of and blaming God - thus he's been labeled the 'Father of Lies'.

pattyfish said...

I sincerely don't think Mike Huckabee was suggesting that God did this. I think he was saying that because we have (generally) kicked God out of our schools/lives/etc., that God graciously has backed out where he isn't wanted and left satan to his devices. Satan wants nothing more than to have us blame evil onto God - to deceive us into thinking wrongly of and blaming God - thus he's been labeled the 'Father of Lies'.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Kim,
Your 'separation of Church and State' admonitions are very well expressed. By whatever name you call your God is surely none of my business...and as I reserve that freedom for you I surely save it for myself. Thanks for your rational views on the subject.
de Guru